Friday, January 29, 2010

First

You're awake.

I didn't used to be.

While asleep last night I had a dream. It was a very vivid dream full of colours and intensity. I often have dreams like this. The plots and characters change except for me. Sometimes themes or whole stories re-occur or at least seem to. These dreams are very cinematic, sometimes pleasant and sometimes not. I think if I were to guess, I'd say the latter outnumber the former, but we'll see now as I begin to document the ones I remember.

How well will I be able to translate such a cinematic experience with mere words? Especially cinema viewed without eyes?

A man named Hughlings Jackson suggested dreams are for removing junk from the brain; they are to remove unnecessary memories and connections (according to Wikipedia). Maybe that’s why the unpleasant ones seem to outnumber the pleasant ones.

Maybe I’m just disturbed.

Oh, but a man named Sigmund Freud said that a man is not responsible for his dreams; at least that's what I learned from an episode of Star Trek.

You can judge me. I've decided I'm okay with that.

You might have had to navigate through a content warning because I'm planning to write these dreams out exactly as I remember them, without regard to consequence or what opinions might be formed about me, the dreamer.

But we'll see, won't we.

No comments: